Experimenting with the design of the annual report:
Report Dmitry Akhmedov, director of Customer Volga Volga Brand Identity at the XI conference, organized by “Expert” Rating Agency.
Colleagues at the first section discussed in detail the inevitable transition to the new standards companies integrated reporting. I want to support their optimism, and discuss some of the approaches to the design of annual reports.
More recently, the annual report was considered primarily as a publication designed to help shareholders and potential investors to understand what results the company has achieved in the past fiscal year, to assess the prospects for, and based on them to make a decision to buy or sell shares of the issuer.
Now more and more companies use the annual reports in order to have an impact on interest groups, among financiers and investors — to existing and potential employees to customers and strategic partners, regulators and government officials, media representatives and local communities, and so on. For all those who can influence the state of affairs of the company. Annual Report becomes a tool of communication with the increasingly wide audience.
On this basis, and the need to build approaches to the design of reports — there is no “good level” and have the task of design means to convey important information to stakeholders:
- Need to find a balance between brevity and completeness of information in time to say the most important thing (no one reads, all overloaded with information) here — infographics help us;
- Must be a balance between text and graphic information;
- It is important that the information contained in the Аnnual Report accurately reflect the conditions and performance of the company and its financial position, as well as consistent with other sources of information about the company (website, corporate press and so on); Report design must not conflict with the company’s corporate identity and corporate website design;
- Need to alleviate the problem of finding the key data, drawing the audience’s attention to the basic facts (accidents, leads, infographics);
- Do not bring a sacrifice of functionality to the original design;
Before our eyes, turns from the Annual Report of the formal document of financial statements into a powerful communication tool of company.
The task is complicated by the annual report design: an increasingly diverse array of information must be submitted in an accessible form of increasingly widespread and diverse audience. The criterion for the design quality is the efficiency of reports this information to the interested parties.